The Cultural Histories Series
The Cultural Histories are comprehensive surveys of the social and cultural construction of specific subjects across six historical periods:
- The Medieval Age
- The Renaissance
- The Enlightenment
- The Age of Empire
- The Modern Age
Each volume discusses the same themes in its chapters so that readers may gain a broad understanding of a period by reading an entire volume, or follow a theme through history by reading the relevant chapter in each volume. Generously illustrated, each six-volume set combines to present an authoritative overview of its subject throughout history.
Topics currently available as part of Bloomsbury Cultural History
Bloomsbury Cultural History is comprised of yearly collections. Please see below for what each collection contains.
2017-18 (Core) Collection:
- Animals – General Editor: Linda Kalof
- The Human Body – General Editors: Linda Kalof, William Bynum
- Childhood and Family – General Editors: Elizabeth Foyster, James Marten
- Sexuality – General Editor: Julie Peakman
- Gardens – General Editors: Michael Leslie, John Dixon Hunt
- Women – General Editor: Linda Kalof
- Food – General Editors: Fabio Parasecoli, Peter Scholliers
- The Senses – General Editor: Constance Classen
- Dress and Fashion – General Editor: Susan J. Vincent
- Theatre – General Editors: Christopher Balme and Tracy C. Davis
- Work – General Editors: Deborah Simonton and Anne Montenach
- Law – General Editor: Gary Watt
- Hair – General Editor: Geraldine Biddle-Perry
- Western Empires – General Editor: Antoinette Burton
- Emotions – General Editors: Susan Broomhall, Jane W. Davidson, Andrew Lynch
- Money – General Editor: Bill Maurer
Bloomsbury Cultural History features over 90 ebooks in social and cultural history
with a wide-ranging coverage of topics, periods and cultures. Featuring books from leading scholars such as Susan Amussen, Christopher Breward, Geoff Eley, Karen Hagemann, Elizabeth Shove, Carolyn Strange, Frank Trentmann, and David Underdown, these books are fully indexed and cross-searchable by keyword using our custom taxonomy.
Bloomsbury Cultural History is comprised of yearly collections. Please see the title list for which ebooks are included in each collection.
Images from the Wellcome Collection
Bloomsbury Cultural History offers 1,500 images from the Wellcome Collection - one of the world’s richest sources of historical images in science, society and culture. Spanning all stages of life from the cradle to the grave and topics as diverse as bathing, cosmetics, political protest and witchcraft, these images give colour and depth to the study of the past.
Bloomsbury Cultural History features an interactive timeline of over 500 historical events, from antiquity to the present day, as chronicled in the Cultural History series. Users can click on the images and colored pins to discover book chapters and object pages, related to notable events in politics, society, the arts and science.
Timeline author: Matthew Milner
Download the full title list